2 cans black beans (I used S&W Organic Black beans, which did not need to be drained and rinsed, but another brand’s beans might need to be drained and rinsed), mashed with a potato masher
1/2 onion, minced
1/2 beet, finely shredded
1/2 stick carrot, finely shredded
2 inches red pepper, finely diced
2 inches green pepper, finely diced
1 tsp garlic (I use the bottled diced kind from Costco)
1/2 can Old El Paso green chilies, mild
1/4 bunch finely chopped parsley
1 tsp cumin (to taste)
1 tsp cholula (to taste)
1/4 tsp white pepper (to taste)
1 tsp salt (to taste)
3/4 c breadcrumbs (or as needed to get desired consistency)
- Place beans in large bowl. Mash until half mashed (or desired consistency).
- Add all ingredients except egg and breadcrumbs. Mix well.
- Add egg. Mix well.
- Add breadcrumbs. Mix until the consistency is such that you can form patties.
- Put in refrigerator for 1 hour to let the flavors blend.
- Grill on grill, or cook on stove like a pancake – which take around 8 min on each side, or bake, which takes around 10 min on each side at 375F. Makes 4 (ish?) patties.
- Enjoy with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, mustard, mayo, ketchup, ranch dressing, whatever you happen to like. 🙂
- Leftover uncooked patties can be frozen. I’d separate with wax paper and then cook as per directions in #6 above. No need to defrost before cooking. This makes a quick, easy and filling weeknight meal, particularly if you’ve done the prep work beforehand and frozen a bunch of patties.