Buy 1 graham cracker crust or chocolate graham cracker crust from the store.
Follow directions for crust below to make the pie vegan.
NOTE: This has rave reviews on Minimalist Baker’s website, and the tofu is said to be undetectable. Nonvegans seem to like it too.
1 1/2 cups raw walnuts
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder
1 heaping (packed) cup pitted dates, soaked for 10 minutes in warm water and drained
12 ounces silken tofu, drained, patted dry
1 3/4 cups dairy-free semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup light or full fat coconut milk (or another dairy-free milk)
- Prepare the crust by pulsing walnuts and cocoa powder in a food processor until it reaches a fine meal. Remove and set aside.
- Place soaked dates in the food processor and process until small bits remain and it’s sticky. Add back in the walnut-cocoa meal and process until well combined.
- Transfer to a glass pie pan lightly oiled with coconut oil. Alternatively, place parchment in the bottom for easy removal. Place a piece of plastic wrap over the crumbs and press with your hands to form a uniform crust that goes up the sides (see photo). Pop in the freezer to set.
- Melt the chocolate chips over a double boiler or in the microwave in 30 second increments. Once melted, work quickly to add to a blender along with the tofu and coconut (or other dairy free) milk. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Pour over crust and smooth. Cover and freeze until set. Alternatively, refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until pretty firm. For easiest serving and longer storage, freeze.
- Serve and top with coconut whipped cream. Will keep in the fridge for several days, though best when fresh. Freeze for up to a few weeks, covered well.
Adapted from: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/moo-less-chocolate-pie-recipe-1938390
ALTON BROWN RECIPE:
ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup coffee liqueur
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound silken tofu, drained
1 tablespoon honey
1 (9-inch) prepared chocolate wafer crust, recipe follows
CHOCOLATE WAFER CRUST:
6 1/2 ounces chocolate wafer cookies
1 tablespoon sugar
3 ounces unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
Place enough water in the bottom of a 4-quart saucepan to come 1 inch up the sides. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
Melt the chocolate chips with the liqueur and vanilla in a medium metal bowl set over the simmering water, stirring often with a rubber or silicone spatula. Combine the tofu, chocolate mixture and honey in a blender or food processor and spin until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour the filling into the crust and refrigerate for 2 hours, or until the filling sets firm.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Spin the cookies and sugar in a food processor until fine crumbs. Then drizzle in the butter, pulsing to combine. Press this mixture firmly and evenly into the bottom, up the sides and just over the lip of a 9-inch metal pie pan.
Bake on the middle rack of the oven until crust is set and appears dry, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely, about 1 hour.
NOTE: For vegan, replace butter with vegan alternative in pie crust.