From King Arthur Flour
1 3/4 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup tomato juice
1 cup grated carrots, raisins, dried cranberries, chopped apples, or nuts
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Measure all the dry ingredients into an 8″ or 9″ round or square cake pan; if you use an 8″ pan, make sure it’s at least 2″ deep.
- Blend the ingredients together thoroughly with a fork or whisk and scoop out two holes, or indentations.
- Pour the vanilla into the first hole and the vegetable oil into the second.
- Take the tomato juice and pour it directly over everything in the pan.
- Stir everything together with your fork until they are well blended.
- Stir in the fruit/nuts of your choice.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove it from the oven, and serve right from the pan.
- Yield: 9 servings.