There are a bunch of recipes on the internet for this. I’m going for a delicious, moist, AND healthy cake.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 c almond flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lemon
1 cup yogurt
1/2 cup oil
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 tbsp (approx) lemon juice
1 c powdered sugar
1/2 tsp (approx) lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray your loaf pan with nonstick spray. I used four mini loaf pans instead of one big loaf pan.
- In first bowl, whisk flours, baking powder, and salt.
- In second bowl, mix sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Add yogurt, oil, eggs and extract to second bowl.
- Fold first bowl mixture into second bowl mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top.
- Bake until top of cake is golden brown and a tester inserted into center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes.
- Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Invert onto rack; let cool completely.
- Add glaze topping.
NOTE: Can be made 3 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature. Freezes well also (take finished cake, wrap in wax paper, then aluminum foil and then cling wrap – all this is to make sure the freeze smell does not get absorbed into your cake).
SUBSTITUTIONS: If you don’t have almond flour, use all purpose flour. If you don’t have lemon, use lime, or orange, or any citrus for the juice and extract. If you don’t have oil, use melted butter. If you don’t have yogurt, use sour cream or ricotta cheese.
VARIATIONS: Can add 1/2 c of fresh fruit to finished batter (blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, bananas). Can also fold in some dried fruit or nuts (walnuts, almonds, dried cherries, dried cranberries). Can also change the extract used from almond to vanilla to lemon to orange to really anything you like the flavor of.
NOTE2: With substitutions and variations, bake time will have to be adjusted. So just check on the cake every so often.
NOTE3: This batter does not make good muffins, because it does not rise.
NOTE4: The glaze is optional but tastes really good 🙂
NOTE5: With the mini loaf pans (animals
), you can make multiple flavors – just divide up the main batter, and to one add lime or orange flavoring, to the other add fresh strawberries, blueberries or blackberries, the other banana walnut, and the last dried cherries and almonds. The sky is the limit!