About 1 pound sweet potatoes
1/3 cup all-purpose flour, or more as needed
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1 egg, lightly beaten
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Peel and grate the sweet potatoes and squeeze or press them dry if necessary; you want 3 packed cups; save the rest for later.
- Combine the grated sweet potato, flour, cornmeal, onion, egg, and sprinkle of salt and pepper and mix well with a fork. If the mixture looks too liquid, add more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time. (You can make the batter ahead of time and refrigerate for up to a couple of hours before cooking.)
- Put 2 inches of oil in a small wok over medium heat. When the oil is hot, carefully drop spoonfuls of sweet potato into the pot. (Work in batches to avoid crowding the pot.)
- Cook turning them with tongs or a slotted spoon as necessary so they brown on all sides, until they’re cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve hot or at room temperature, with more salt and pepper if you like.