1 box mochiko flour (1 pound glutinous rice flour)
2 1/2 c white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
2 c water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 can coconut milk (14 oz)
1/4 tsp red food coloring
1 1/2 tsp potato starch (or tapioca starch or corn starch)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Greast 9 x 13 pyrex.
- Mix rice flour, sugar and baking powder in bowl 1.
- Mix water, vanilla, coconut milk, and red food coloring in bowl 2.
- Add bowl 1 contents to bowl 2.
- Pour into pyrex pan.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour. (It will not look done. But it is.)
- Let cool completely.
- Turn the pan of mochi onto a clean surface that has been covered with the potato starch.
- Cut the mochi into bite size pieces with a plastic knife (so it does not stick).
- Roll around in the potato starch.
- Box up and enjoy! (I place pieces in cupcake cups for individual consumption.
NOTE: These do not freeze well. These also do not fridge well. They spoil easily because of the coconut milk. Recipe cannot be halved and cannot be doubled, it does not work well. This recipe should be made EXACTLY as it is written.