aka Custard Corn Cake
From NY Times
2 cups milk
4 teaspoons white vinegar
1 cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup yellow cornmeal
¾ cup sugar
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place DRY cast iron dutch oven into pan while preheating.
- Combine milk and vinegar in a bowl and set aside to sour, about 20 minutes. Milk should be room temperature. If it isn’t, heat it in the microwave. Whole milk works best.
- In another bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk eggs into the soured milk. Stir into dry ingredients and set batter aside.
- Melt butter in the cast iron pan.
- Pour in the batter.
- Pour cream over the batter, into the center.
- Bake 45 min at 350 F.
- Slice into wedges and serve warm.
- Great for dessert or breakfast.
NOTE: The cornbread tastes great. The custard part did not work for me. I purchased whipping cream TODAY from a local grocer and it was already sour. So it ruined my cake 😦 My advice to you: taste your ingredients before putting them into your baking.