Sombremesa de Banana com Queijo (Banana and Cheese Pudding) via Saveur
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 12. oz. can evaporated milk
1 stick cinnamon
4 ripe bananas, cut crosswise into 2 inch pieces, then lengthwise in 1/4-inch thick slices
12 oz. cream cheese, cubed
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil milks and cinnamon stick in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until reduced by half, about 30 minutes; discard cinnamon.
- Spread 1/3 reduced milk over bottom of an 8×8 baking dish; top with half the bananas and half the cream cheese.
- Repeat layering, ending with reduced milk; sprinkle with ground cinnamon.
- Bake until bubbly, about 30 minutes.
Forget Saveur, here is the original:
Translated to English:
1 can condensed milk
7 chopped bananas
5 tbsp margarine (use butter instead)
2 tbsp sugar
1 cinnamon stick
2 c finely grated queijo meia cura cheese (matured)
juice of 1 lime
For the meringue cover:
1/2 c sugar
3 egg whites
juice of 1 lime
1. In a pressure cooker, put the unopened can of condensed milk, cover with water, cover and cook. After opening pressure, cook for 30 minutes.
2. Turn off the heat and wait for all the pressure to escape before opening the pot.
3. Remove the pan tin and let cool for 4 hours. Open it, remove the sweet milk and set aside.
4. Settle bananas one side to the other, on an average pan (19 cm x 28 cm), smeared with 1 tablespoon butter. Drizzle with lemon juice and sprinkle sugar and cinnamon. On top, place the rest of the butter.
5. Preheat oven on medium heat 350 F (180 ° C) and bake bananas for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
6. Spread the sweet milk, cheese and return to oven for another 10 minutes to melt the cheese.
FOR THE MERINGUE COVER:
1. In a small saucepan put the sugar with ½ cup of water and bring to boil over medium heat until a thick syrup. Reserve.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and gradually add the hot syrup still in wire, always beating for firm meringue consistency.
3. Spread over cheese and return to a hot oven for 5 minutes, just to brown. Sprinkle with lemon zest and serve immediately.