NOTE: I do not like mushi dudhi, I do not like excess ghee, and I do not like excess milk. I also do not like food coloring in my food. I try to eat as healthy and natural as I can.
From: Manjula’s Kitchen
1 dudhi, peeled and shredded (about 4 cups)(squished down to 2 c when water is squeezed out)
2.5 c milk
1/2 c sugar
2 tbsp ghee
2 tsp cardamom powder
2 tbsp pistachio, chopped (optional)
- Put milk in pyrex. Microwave 15 min power level 7. Milk will have condensed to roughly half the amount. Keep microwaving until you have about 1.5 c milk.
- On stove medium high heat, add ghee. Let warm. Add dudhi. Let cook, about 3 min.
- Add milk, bring to boil, then lower temp of stove to low. Let cook until mixture becomes thick, about 10 min.
- Add sugar, cardamom, pistachio (if you like). Mixture will become loose and soupy again. Stir continuously until halwa is semi solid (consistency of play dough), about 3 to 4 min.
- Turn off heat. Transfer to serving bowl. Garnish wish pistachios, serve.