Cook time: 6 hours
3 c whole dried peas (vatana) [these can be bought in an indian grocery store]
3 tbsp olive oil
salt to taste
1/4 tsp onion salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp garlic powder, or to taste
1/4 c wasabi powder
2 tbsp tahini sauce
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Soak dried peas overnight, then rinse and drain.
- Place peas in large pot with water to cover by a couple of inches. Bring to boil. Cook 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 200 F.
- Put silpat on Cookie sheet.
- Drain peas, mix with olive oil, place on silpat.
- Bake 4 – 8 hours, stirring every 30 min or so, until peas are dry.
- Remove from oven, season with salt, onion salt, and garlic powder.
- While peas are roasting, mix wasabi powder, tahini, rice vinegar, and Dijon mustard in large bowl.
- When the peas are ready, pour them into the bowl, and stir to coat with the wasabi mixture.
- Pour the covered peas back onto the silpat, and return to the oven. Bake for another 10 minutes in preheated oven, or until the aroma is strong and the coating is dry.
NOTE: This is a great recipe to make while you’re binge watching a series on Netflix 😉