I make this in a cast iron dutch oven. It can be made in an 8 x 8 brownie pan as well.
This is my original recipe.
2 tbsp butter, softened
1/2 c milk
1/2 c sour cream
1/3 c sugar
1/2 c mashed potatoes (leftovers work perfect)
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1 c yellow cornmeal
1 c all purpose flour
- Preaheat oven to 425 F. PLACE CAST IRON DUTCH OVEN INTO OVEN WHILE IT IS PREHEATING.
- Mix wet ingredients in kitchenaid.
- Mix dry ingredients in other bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in kitchenaid. Mix well.
- Take cast iron out of oven. Add 2 tsp of butter and swirl around until bottom of pan is coated.
- Add batter to cast iron.
- Bake (without lid!) for 30 min.
- Cool, cut and enjoy!
Note: If you make potato soup and have leftovers, you can use that as well, or corn soup or mushroom soup. Adjust the milk content downward to compensate for the liquidity of the soup. Cornbread batter has the consistency of thick pancake batter.
Optional: Chop a jalapeno into the batter if you like your cornbread spicy.