Yield: 12 small rolls.
1/2 cup cool water
1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/8 teaspoon instant yeast
all of the starter
3 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 cup lukewarm water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
1 large egg white mixed with 1-2 tablespoon cool water
DAY 1: Making the starter: (15 minutes)
Mix the starter ingredients together until smooth, cover, and let rest at room temperature overnight.
DAY 2: Making the rolls: (4 hours rise time, 3 hours fridge time, 30 min bake time) — these rolls are an ALL DAY affair.
- Combine all of the dough ingredients and mix and knead them together — by hand, mixer or bread machine — until you’ve made a soft, somewhat smooth dough; it should be cohesive, but the surface may still be a bit rough. It may also stick to the bowl just the tiniest bit.
- LET RISE 1 HOUR, then deflate and turn over.
- LET RISE 2 HOURS, then deflate and turn over.
- Shape dough into 12 balls.
- LET RISE 1-2 HOURS, UNTIL PUFFY.
- REFRIGERATE the rolls, covered, for 2-3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- MAKE EGG WASH. Brush onto rolls.
- Slash a 1/4″ deep cut across the top of each roll. Immediately put the rolls into the oven.
- Bake the rolls for 20 to 25 minutes, until they’re a deep golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and cool on a rack.
- OR, for best crunch, open the oven door, and allow the rolls to cool in the turned-off, open-door oven.