By Rick Bayless
Makes 1.5 cups
4 medium (about 8 ounces total) tomatillos, husked, rinsed and quartered
1large garlic clove, peeled and quartered
Hot green chiles to taste (I like 2 serranos or 1 jalapeno), stemmed and roughly chopped
1/2 to 2/3cup (loosely packed) roughly chopped cilantro
- Combine tomatillos, garlic, chile and cilantro in a blender jar or food processor.
- Add 1/4 cup water and a generous 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Process to a coarse puree.
- If using a blender, begin blending on low, at first pulsing to get the mixture moving evenly through the blender blades.
- Pour into a salsa dish and thin with a little more water if necessary to give the salsa an easily spoonable consistency.
- Taste and season with additional salt, if you think necessary.
- Serve right away.