Yield: 8 small naan
1.5 tsp fast-action yeast
1 tsp sugar
150ml warm water
300g strong white bread flour, plus extra (almost another 300g!) to dust
1 tsp salt
5 tbsp natural yoghurt
2 tbsp melted ghee or butter, plus extra to brush
A little vegetable oil, to grease
1 whole garlic head, finely minced
2 tbsp ghee
1/2 tsp salt
- Put yeast, sugar and water into bowl. Let sit until frothy.
- Add flour, yogurt, ghee. Mix. Dough is a sticky mess.
- Mix in kitchenaid for 5 min on high. Add flour until dough pulls away from sides of bowl and becomes a soft dough.
- Coat bowl and dough with oil.
- LET RISE, covered, 90-120 min.
- Take dough out of oven, beat down, divide into eight balls.
- Roll out into a circle. Place a spoonful of garlic stuffing into it. Pull the ends to the middle and twist shut. Roll out into a small naan size, be careful not to tear it or the stuffing will fall out.
- Heat oven to 500 F. Place cookie sheet in oven, let it warm up as well.
- Wet one side of the dough. Put on cookie sheet. Let cook (2-4 min) until bubbles form on top and naan no longer sticks to cookie sheet.
- Flip over, let cook on other side as well (2 min or so).
- Take out of oven, brush with ghee.
- Serve warm.
NOTE: This is the guardian recipe adapted for the oven.
NOTE2: You don’t have to stuff with garlic. You can stuff with whatever you like – potatoes, cheese, meat, cauliflower, radish, tofu. Depends on what you like.