This is a recipe for a one layer pavlova. It is made of meringue, lemon curd, whipping cream, and fresh strawberries. This is not something that makes good leftovers, so assemble only when you are ready to serve. Otherwise it will get mushy and ruined. It takes a long long long time to make, but it tastes great and isn’t particularly difficult. The meringue is high protein, no fat, and super healthy. The lemon curd is moderately healthy. The whipping cream is not healthy at all, so use it sparingly. Note that you will need parchment paper for this recipe. And a Kitchenaid mixer.
4 egg whites
pinch of salt
1 c sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp white or rice wine vinegar
a few drops vanilla extract
a few drops rose extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Trace a 9 in circle on it.
- In kitchenaid, blend egg whites, salt until stiff peaks. Then add sugar. Fold in cornstarch, vinegar and extracts in the end.
- Place the meringue on the 9 in circle and shape into a flat disk.
- Lower oven heat to 300 F and bake meringue for 75 min.
- After 75 min, turn off oven and let meringue cool while in oven.
4 large egg yolks
1.5 c sugar
1/2 c fresh squeezed lemon juice, and zest of the lemons you used for the juice
6 tbsp butter
1/8 tsp salt
- Combine yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, and sugar in small saucepan. Whisk. Stir over medium heat constantly for around 5 min, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the wooden spoon.
- Take off of heat.
- Add butter, stir until smooth.
- Transfer to medium bowl, cover with a sheet of plastic. Fridge until cool, at least one hour.
- Note: if the yolks curdle and mixture becomes lumpy, use a strainer to get rid of the curdled part.
- Note: the lemon curd lasts for 5 days in the fridge. You can also freeze it to use later.
1 pound strawberries, hulled and quartererd
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp sugar
- Mix well. Let sit for 15 min to 2 hours at room temperature. I like to put it in a pyrex bowl with a lid.
1 pint whipping cream (this is the same as 2 cups)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
some lemon zest
- In kitchenaid on high, mix until stiff peaks form.
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:
- Take the meringue off the parchment paper. Put on cake stand over a cute doily (they sell disposable ones at Walmart).
- Crack the top of the meringue with a spoon
- Option: You can mix the lemon curd with whipping cream, and THEN put it on the meringue. Or you can have two separate layers.
- Top with lemon curd, then whipping cream, then strawberries. Serve immediately.
TIP: You can buy lemon curd if you don’t want to make it. Or lime curd, passion fruit curd, grapefruit curd, or orange curd. (In that order of yumness). You can find rose extract in an Indian grocery store. If you don’t like rose, you can skip it altogether.