1 ¼ c (5 oz) whole wheat flour [if you swap out the flour types, mind the weight]
1 ½ tbsp sugar (or honey)
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp paprika
4 tbsp butter, cut up
¼ c water
¼ tsp vanilla
salt for topping optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In food processor, combine the whole wheat flour, sugar, salt, paprika and butter.
- Pulse for a few times until you get fine crumbs…no bigger than a pea.
- Combine water and vanilla and pour over dry mixture (if using honey, and not sugar, you can add it with the water).
- Process again for a few seconds until everything is evenly combined. Form a smooth dough of a play dough like consistency. Do not overmix.
- Form into a ball and cut into 4 pieces. Cover the rest of the dough as you work so as not to dry it out.
Take one piece of dough and place between parchment paper. Roll dough as thinly as possible close to 1/16-1/8th inch.
Cut crackers using a sharp knife, about 1 1/2 inches square.
Place crackers on a parchment paper or silpat.
Bake crackers until crisp and browned 5-7 minutes ( depending on thickness). You want the crackers to be almost crispy, golden brown when removing them. Let crackers cool in the pan.
Crackers will stay crisp if stored in airtight containers.