2 c bread flour
1 c dark rye flour
3 tbsp potato flakes
2 tbsp caraway seeds (shahjeera, NOT kalajeera NOT cumin NOT fennel)
1 1/2 tbsp demerara sugar or molasses
2 1/2 tsp yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 c warm water
1/4 c oil
1/4 c sour pickle juice (specified because – NOT sweet! any pickle juice without sugar works here)
- In kitchenaid, mix bread flour, rye flour, potato flakes, caraway seeds, sugar, yeast and salt.
- Add water, oil and pickle juice.
- Mix dough with dough hook until dough is rough and shaggy looking.
- LET RISE, covered, 30 min.
- Mix again in kitchenaid until smooth, firm and slightly sticky.
- Turn dough onto floured work surface and knead by hand 1 to 2 min.
- Form dough into ball, place in oiled bowl, coated with oil.
- LET RISE, covered, 1 hour.
- Grease 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- Shape dough into log, and place into loaf pan.
- LET RISE, covered, 60-90 min.
- Bake 350F for 35 min. Internal bread temperature should be 190 F.
- Cover with aluminum foil shiny side out last 15 min or so if bread browns too quickly.
- Let cool completely.
- Slice and enjoy 🙂
NOTE: If you don’t have potato flakes, omit, and decrease water amount by 1/4 c.
NOTE2: shahjeera is, in taste, halfway between cumin and fennel. kalajeera is totally wrong, it is very bitter. If you don’t have shahjeera, don’t try to sub in anything else, just omit it.