Danish name: Brunkager
250 g butter
250 g brown sugar
125 g light syrup (made from cane sugar or palm sugar or golden syrup)
500 g all purpose flour
3 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ginger
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp allspice
150 g whole almonds
25 g pistachios (unsalted)
2 tsp baker’s ammonia (this is what makes the cookies crunchy)(King Arthur Flour sells it)
1 tbsp cold water
- In sauce pan over medium heat, add butter, syrup and brown sugar. Heat until 70 C (160 F). Set aside.
- In large bowl, mix spices and flour. Add almonds and pistachios.
- In small bowl, dissolve ammonia into cold water.
- Pour butter mix and ammonia mix into bowl with flour mix.
- Pour batter into 8 x 8 brownie pan (pyrex) lined with parchment paper.
- Cover pan with parchment paper.
- Leave the pan, with the batter, on your kitchen table for the next day. (Remember, Denmark is a cold country, so doing this in a hot or humid climate might not work so well – in that case, leave it in an unheated oven).
- The batter should the next day be a solid dough. Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into 5-6 logs and then into thin slices.
- Bake at 180 C (360 F) for 8 – 12 min.
- Let cookies cool completely.
- Store in airtight jar.