2 large egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
dash of salt
1/2 c sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 200 F.
- In large bowl, combine egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt. Beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, beat until mixture is stiff and glossy.
- Add vanilla extract at the end.
- Bake on a cookie sheet lined with a silpat for 1.5 hours.
- Makes 36 5g meringues.
- TURN OFF the heat and leave the meringues in the oven until they are completely cool, 3 hours or more.
- It’s easiest to do this if you bake the meringues in the evening and let them cool overnight.
- Store the meringues in an airtight container to keep them crisp.
NOTE: These meringues are only 10 calories apiece. They have no fat and are high in protein. They are absolutely delicious and make an excellent snack if you’re dieting.