Makes 4 pitas.
1.5 c all purpose flour
1 tsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 c water
1 tbsp oil
- Mix everything together.
- Knead 5 min by machine or 10 min by hand.
- LET REST 1 hour.
- Turn dough onto floured surface. Make four 6 inch circles.
- Let rest 15 min UNCOVERED.
- Preheat oven to 500 F.
- Place baking sheet on lowest rack and bake 5 min. They should puff up.
- Transfer baking sheet to middle rack in oven and bake additional 2 min, or until the pitas have browned.
- Remove the pitas from the oven, wrap in dish towel to keep soft.
- Repeat with remaining pitas.
- Store cooled pitas in airtight container or plastic bag.