Sold here if you don’t feel like making it. National Trust recipe.
225 g butter, softened
225 g light soft brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
450 g flour, sifted
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking soda (aka bicarbonate of soda)
100 g raisins
50 g mixed candied peel
50 g glace cherries, halved
300 ml milk
75 g clear honey
75 g black treacle
3-4 tbsp clear honey
40 g light soft brown sugar
50 g butter
50 g flaked almonds
MAKES ONE 7 inch square cake.
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Grease and line a 7 inch square tin.
- Beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, beat again.
- Add flour, ginger and baking soda. Beat again.
- Stir in dried fruit and cherries.
- WARM: milk, honey and treacle. Add to main batter. Stir well.
- Turn into prepared tin and bake for 2 hours or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and LEAVE in tin.
- Warm together topping ingredients (except almonds) and pour over the warm cake.
- Sprinkle cake with almonds and allow to cool completely IN THE TIN.
NOTE: SO Yum. SO. SO. SO. Yum. Great taste, great texture, a million stars, all the way.