Yield: 2 loaves of bread
2.25 c + 2.5 tbsp all purpose flour
1.75 c warm water
2 1/3 tbsp honey
3/4 tsp yeast
- In a mixer bowl or other large bowl, combine the flour, water, honey, and instant yeast.
- Whisk until very smooth to incorporate air, about 2 minutes.
- The sponge will be the consistency of a thick batter.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and cover it with plastic wrap.
- Let rest 1 hour; OR
- Lest rest 1 hour then fridge for up to 24 hours to develop flavor.
2 c + 2.25 tbsp all purpose flour
1.75 c nonfat dry milk
3/4 tsp yeast
1 stick + 1 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- Mix well add above to sponge.
- RISE 1-4 hours at room temperature.
- Mix in kitchenaid mixer on low.
- Add 2.25 tsp salt.
- Add 1 c raisins
- Let dough rest, covered, for 10 minutes.
- In small bow, beat 1 egg.
- In second bowl, beat 1/4 c sugar + 2 tbsp sugar and 4 tsp cinnamon together.
- Cut dough into half, two loaves.
- Roll out one loaf, cover with egg wash, add cinnamon sugar.
- Do the same for the second loaf.
- Cover both the loaves with plastic wrap and let RISE 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven 350 F.
- Bake 35-40 min.
- Brush tops of bread with melted butter.
- Let cool a bit before taking out of loaf pans.
NOTE: This is a fiddly recipe. I wouldn’t make it again, it’s too much of a bother. However, it does taste great, especially lightly toasted with a huge lump of butter.