2 packages (2 tbsp) active dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
2 c warm water
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 c gluten flour OR bread flour
4-5 c soft wheat flour OR cake flour OR pastry flour
2/3 c ice water mixed with 1 tbsp salt
- Combine yeast, sugar and warm water in large bowl. Let stand until frothy.
- Mix salt and gluten flour and add to yeast mixture.
- Add soft wheat flour, 1 c at a time, until you have a firm dough.
- Remove to a lightly floured board and knead until no longer sticky, around 10 min, adding flour as necessary.
- Place in oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface of the dough.
- Cover and let rise 2 h or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down the dough.
- Turn out onto a floured board and knead for 2 min.
- Cut dough into 24 pieces and form into balls.
- Place on baking sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Slash the tops of the rolls.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 min.
- Place 4 custard cups of boiling water on the corners of your oven rack.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Place the baking sheet on the rack and bake for 25 to 30 min, brushing the rolls with salted ice water every 5 min during baking, or until the rolls are nicely browned and sound hollow when tapped.
- Remove to a rack to cool.