1 lb unblanched almonds
5 egg whites
2 c sifted confectioner’s sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp grated lemon rind
- Blend almonds in blender. Do not use food grinder because it makes the nuts too oily.
- Beat egg whites with salt until they hold a soft shape, then add in confectioner’s sugar. Beat until mixture holds stiff peaks when you lift up the beater.
- Stir in cinnamon and grated lemon rind.
- Take 1/3 of the egg white mixture and place in a separate bowl to use later as a glaze.
- Fold the almonds into the remaining 2/3 of the batter and mix thoroughly.
- Take half the mixture at a time, and pat to a thickness of 3/8 in on a board or pastry cloth, lightly sprinkled with confectioner’s sugar.
- If mixture seems sticky, dust your hands with confectioner’s sugar.
- Cut with small star cutter and place on greased cookie sheet (or nonstick sheet with silpat).
- Brush the tops of each cookie with a generous coating of the reserved egg white mixture.
- Bake in preheated 300 F oven for 20 min or until the edges begin to get firm.
- BAKING DOES NOT CHANGE THE COLOR of these cookies.
- Take the other half of the batter and repeat the operation.
- Makes approximately 5 dozen small cookies.