Makes 15 cupcakes or 1 9 inch round cake pan.
1.25 c cake flour
1/8 c cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c sugar
3/4 c oil
2 tsp red food coloring
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c buttermilk
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp white vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Butter 9 inch round cake pan, line with parchment, butter parchment. Dust with flour.
3. Whisk flour, cocoa and salt.
4. Beat sugar and oil in kitchenaid.
5. Add eggs.
6. Add food coloring and vanilla.
7. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternatingly.
8. Beat until just combined.
9. IN SEPARATE BOWL, mix baking soda and vinegar. Add to batter. Beat 10 seconds.
10. Pour batter into cake pan.
11. Bake 30 min.
12. Transfer cake to rack to cool completely. CAKE MUST BE TOTALLY COOL when you frost it or it will be a HUGE mess. HUGE. (Don’t ask me how I know..)
NOTE: Cupcakes are baked at 375F for 18-20 min.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature (use Philly original cream cheese, NOT the low fat kind)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 stick butter
1 pound / 16 oz / 2 c confectioner’s sugar
1. Beat cream cheese and vanilla until fluffy (2 min).
2. Add butter, beat.
3. Add sugar, beat. Done and done
4. If you fridge the frosting before frosting your cake, make sure you let it come to room temperature and beat on low speed FIRST.
VERDICT: This is one of my favorite cakes (the other is German Chocolate Cake). I love this cake and this recipe. You’ll definitely find yourself making this cake again and again. It’s soooo good 🙂