This is the classic American recipe. Accept no imitations.
2 slices Wonder Bread (Classic White)
2 slices Kraft American Cheese Singles
1. Butter one side of each slice of bread. Oil it too (this is to prevent the butter from burning when you cook it).
2. Place bread, butter slice down, on cold skillet. Turn on stove. Turn skillet to medium low heat.
3. Layer two slices of American cheese onto the center of the slice of bread in the skillet.
4. Top with the other slice of bread, buttered side facing upward.
5. Let cook for about a minute. The heat is really low to let the cheese melt. You should hear a sizzle when the bottom is done.
6. Flip over sandwich. Let other side brown until a lovely golden color, and cheese has melted. It takes about a minute.
7. Take off stove. Cut off edges. Cut into diagonals. Enjoy with ketchup or salsa.