1 qt heavy cream
1 vanilla bean, halved, scraped
3/4 c sugar
8 egg yolks
turbinado sugar, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 300 F.
2. Simmer cream, vanilla bean with seeds in med saucepan over med high heat. Remove from heat and let sit 30 min. Throw out vanilla bean.
3. In bowl, whisk sugar and egg yolks until smooth. Slowly pour in cream mixture. Whisk until smooth. Set aside.
4. Place a paper towel in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking pan, and place 6 pyrex ramekins inside. Divide custard among ramekins. Pour boiling water into pan to cover ramekins half way.
5. Bake until custard is set but still loose in center, about 35 min. Transfer ramekins to wire rack. Cool. Chill until firm, almost 4 hours.
6. Dab any condensation off custard cups with a paper towel. Sprinkle custard with turbinado sugar. USE A BLOWTORCH and go back and forth over the sugar until it becomes brown and caramelized. Let sit briefly until it hardens.