Adapted from: A Cozy Kitchen
Yield: 12 pies
Keeps well: About 3 days at room temperature (in CHICAGO!!! YMMV!!)
Rye Pie Crust:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rye flour
1 tablespoon white granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, frozen, grated
3/4 cup water, cold, divided
6 ounces blackberries (fresh or frozen)
1 1/2 teaspoons tapioca starch or potato starch
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg beaten with a splash of milk or water (for egg wash)
1. Make Dough by mixing all dough ingredients together. Let chill overnight.
2. Make Filling by mixing all ingredients in a saucepan and cooking on medium heat for five minutes.
3. Roll dough into 1 mm thickness. Cut out 3 inch diameter circles. Add 1 tsp blackberry filling into center of circle. Fold over, crimp with fork. Brush with egg wash.
4. Bake on silpat, 400 F for 15 min. Enjoy!
4. You can deep fry these pies also, the way McDonald’s apple pies used to be. They are AMAZING fried. Heat around 3 inches of oil on medium heat, fry each side for about 3 minutes. Enjoy!